Hair loss and pregnancy

Hair loss and pregnancy

For us mere mortals, around 90% of your hair grows at any given time. However, what about the remaining 10%? Well… they go into what is known as a resting phase. Thereafter, every three months or so, it falls out to allow for the new regrowth.

However, owing to a change in hormones following on from pregnancy this will change.

What Happens to Your Hair During Pregnancy?

Whilst you are pregnant, there is a substantial increase in the level of the hormone estrogen. Estrogen is a vital part of the jigsaw as it is the hormone that stimulates the actual growth of your hair. It’s courtesy of those rises in estrogene that you experience that sumptuous head of hair, right up until shortly after the delivery.

What Happens to Your Hair After Pregnancy?

After pregnancy, your estrogen levels, the hormone that stimulates hair growth, will begin to return to normal. Three or four months later, once they’ve been given a chance to settle down, you will possibly begin to shed your hair as the hair follicles try to reestablish themselves. This, however, is a temporary state and generally any hair loss will regain it’s normal status from any time between six to twelve months.

Generally, hair loss, or Telogen Effluvium as it’s also called, occurs only shortly after a pregnancy. It’s a common occurrence and affects a number of women and is mostly only temporary. However, should you be experiencing hairloss during your pregnancy you should talk to your medical practitioner about the possibility of deficiencies in maybe minerals or vitamins. It’s not wholly common but it’s also not unheard of.

Initially, it’s advisable to talk to your medical professional to establish that your hormone levels are normal. It may also be a great idea to ask them about supplements whilst your there. Once this is in place, ensure that you eat a sensible and well balanced diet that includes plenty of fruit and vegetables.

An additional measure that can be taken to aid a healthy head of hair after pregnancy is to look for shampoo and hair products that contain Biotin and silica. Biotin, also known as vitamin H is one of the complex B vitamins that helps your body transform food into energy. Silica is a mineral that is a cross between silicon and oxygen and can be found in most leafy green vegetables. Your hair and nails will lap it up and that can only be a great thing!

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.