For many of us, our hair is an important part of our identity and overall appearance – particularly for women. Although there are some medications and supplements that are available, not everyone chooses to take drugs due to underlying conditions or simply out of choice. Fortunately, there are natural alternatives and methods you can try to minimise hair loss in women.
Natural ways to treat hair loss in women
- Acupuncture. There is some anecdotal evidence available to support acupuncture as a treatment for hair loss but some more research may be required. The theory is that acupuncture stimulates blood flow towards the scalp which can encourage hair regrowth. Overall it is a low risk procedure with no side effects so there is no harm in seeing if it works for you.
- Massage. A daily five minute scalp massage can also increase blood flow around the scalp to support hair regrowth if you wish to avoid needles. However keep in mind this approach is gentler and results may take longer to appear.
- Get your hormone levels checked. It is possible that an underlying hormone imbalance is the reason behind your hair fall. A naturopath can order lab work so that your oestrogen, testosterone and progesterone levels can be checked and resolved.
- Eat a healthy balanced diet. Your diet needs to be nutrient dense so that you are providing your body with the nutrients it needs for optimal hair growth and health. Cut out any processed and junk foods as they can contribute to a hormonal imbalance.
- Top up on your iron. Women in childbearing years are more likely to be anaemic as a result of low iron. Unfortunately, this contributes to hair thinning and loss, but you can take supplements and incorporate iron rich foods into your diet to counteract low iron levels.
What if no natural method is working to resolve my hair loss?
If you have tried multiple natural methods and are still suffering from excessive hair loss and thinning, it’s time to speak to a hair loss in women specialist who can help you work out the underlying reason. Not all hair loss treatments rely on medicines; there are topical ointments and supplements available as well as permanent procedures which can reverse hair loss.
A hair loss in women specialist can offer you a custom treatment plan which is suited to your personal needs and requirements.